anil

Friday, July 25, 2014

A birthday to remember

I recently celebrated my 75th birthday. It was a joyous occasion when we had dinner together with our oldest and dearest friends. It was especially a happy time since my son, Akhil had brought his son, my two and half year old grandson Nikhil, with him from Vietnam to celebrate this occasion. Another special gift was a birthday presentation book that my daughter, Shibani and son, Akhil had compiled and printed. Besides photos of long forgotten days, it contained messages and remembrances from old friends and associates, college mates and family members. Apparently my children had written to all my friends about the book and asked for their memories and many had very generously responded. 

Here are a few excerpts from the book:

" This book is dedicated to a visionary, a father, a husband, a grandfather, a friend, a mentor. For all whom he has inspired, and continues to inspire.

"Anil was a legend in IIT.."

"..We informally voted him as the "one person from IIT who should and could Prime Minister of India.."

"..He was a great debater and orator at IIT.."

" .. I don't know if Anil regards himself as spiritual but he is one of the most spiritual people I know. To take the joy and sorrow in his stride, to meet with triumph and disaster and treat those two impostors just the same is one of the first lesson from Gita..There is so much wisdom to be distilled from his blogs which speak matter of factly on impending death or his first novel completed in record time or his adorable grandson.."

"..I loved that ability to engage, enthuse and energize others ..surely on of the great qualities that made you a star on whatever planet you landed....so with unending gratitude for a friendship rare and greatly cherished..."

"..Of all the things you've given me over the years, your belief in me has been the most invaluable. I cannot imagine a world without you, your wisdom, guidance and support.."

"I cannot imagine this world without you and I am so happy that after everything we are celebrating your 75th. It has been an incredible journey and there is still much more to come.."

A few of these memories got left out in the hurry to have the book ready for the birthday but the authors tell me that they intend to include all the memories in the final book and also to find a way for all to look at it on the internet.

All I can say is that this is a very precious gift that cheers me up when I am in the doldrums and inspires me when I need a lift. So thanks to all of you generous people.

No comments:

Post a Comment