anil

Saturday, July 12, 2014

A birthday to remember

It is my 75 th birthday today. I am surprised that I have lived so long, much beyond the allocated span of three scores and ten that the Bible specifies for us. 

On these occasions, one of the biggest problems facing my family is what to give me as a present.

“ We have already given him an ipad and iphone and all the latest gadgets that he could possibly want.” I can imagine my children arguing as they go through the various options. "What can we possibly give him now." 

And as often happens when their imagination falters, they appeal to their mother for help.

“Mom, tell us what we should give him for his birthday," they beg her, " for if you don’t we will just give him a tie” they threaten.

Much confabulations accrue. I know because everytime I walk into the room they would stop talking or change the subject to something innocuous like the weather.

Well, friends, they obviously came to a decision because the talking about the birthday suddenly stopped. I was curious as hell as what they had settled on but none would share that secret with me.

Finally, it was my birthday. I was opening my birthday greeting cards from friends when I heard the front door bell ring. I was sure it was my son who was flying in from Vietnam for my birthday and so I rose to let him in. And lo and behold I saw my birthday present!

And it was the best birthday present any man could ever want. Nestled in my sons arms was my two and half year old grandson, Nikhil! My son had undertaken this twenty hour journey with his son because he knew that I would be delighted to see his son. Of course I talked to him almost every day for ten to twenty minutes on the Ipad, but the feeling I got when he cuddled in my arms was out of this world.

Then on my birthday morning he toddled into my room,” good morning dada,” he said, “ happy birthday to you” and sang the ditty or as much of it as he could remember!

But it was enough. They really had found me the perfect gift for my birthday. And it promises to be a birthday that I will always remember and cherish.

No comments:

Post a Comment