anil

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Summer holiday 3


The third part of the visit was partly tragic in that so many of my friends and family 
were suffering losses of their own. A cousin  had cancer, another a stroke, an aunt was bedridden, another had dementia. All the ills that human flesh is heir to. It was difficult to visit any of them without spending the better part of the visit bewailing the human condition and talking About the medical profession. Still there were some who had weathered life's storms and looked at the future with neither fear nor anxiety.but only a very few .

I never realized that just as I was surprised by many of them in their sicknesses, they too were taken aback in mine- the fact that I could not walk even modestly long distances, that I tired easily, that I carried a wheelchair--all this came I am sure as a shock.

But i confess the real joy was in meeting the youngsters in the family and talking to them about their dreams. One was leaving for vanatua, another to Singapore for a legal career, a third was taking time off to study environmental law in Taiwan. One boy in the family wanted a career in multi media while his sister was torn between fashion design and commerce.such a wide range and so many choices  tobemade!  And worse none of the parents had the foggiest idea about these new professions!

And my little grandson- oh he said he wants to be a doctor!

No comments:

Post a Comment