anil

Monday, May 10, 2010

The limits of multi tasking

I had always been skeptical of people who claimed that they could multi task. So it was gratifying to find some research bolstering my instincts.

But the real clincher in my case came from my own experience-- of course, I may be someone constitutionally unable to multitask. I was, as my regular readers, would vouchsafe writing two columns a week in my blog and have been doing it for more than a year. Yet when a few weeks ago, I was urged to complete my book on heart disease " Straight from the heart", I thought it would not be a major issue and that I could continue writing my blogs. Alas, I could not keep these two projects going on at the same time. And when the world bank asked me to write a report on rural electrification in Vietnam, the fat was really in the fire and my writing suffered.

But all is now back to normal. The book is published and is available on the internet both as a regular paper edition and also as a Kindle book. The report on Vietnam will be ready by the end of the month after I visit Vietnam starting next week. So come June, the writing should resume and my limit of multitasking lapse.

1 comment:

  1. Srinivas RajgopalMay 11, 2010 at 4:51 AM

    Dear Anil
    Congrats. It is amazing that you are able to write so much. I have been reading all the blogs that Niloufer sends me. Keep it up.
    The piece on the Vietnam Electrification will be interesting to me. Unfortunately India is still in the same tangle and is not able to execute the projects.
    Will read the book and revert.
    Rajgopal

    ReplyDelete